Do you know who the competitors of SAP are in the ERP market?
In the 1990s, after launching SAP R/3, SAP became the indisputable leader in the ERP market. In those years, their main competitors were Oracle, JD Edwards and Baan. It’s interesting that from the original competitors, the only one that still remains nowadays is Oracle. JD Edwards was bought by Oracle and Baan died.
Let’s have a look to the main players in the ERP market nowadays and what ERP applications they commercialize. I have not included in the list products that I don’t consider an ERP by itself like CRM, HCM, financial products and so on. If you want to know more about those products, just clic on the links to go directly to the original websites.
- SAP. The Core ERP solutions that SAP is commercializing nowadays are:
- SAP S/4HANA. The customer can choose the type of installation: on premise, cloud, or there are several options for hybrid. If you are interested to know the other ERP products SAP launched to the market before SAP S/4HANA, you can read more in this post.
- SAP Business ByDesign. Commercialized as Software as a Service. With this Cloud-based ERP, SAP is targeting the mid-sized companies.
- SAP Business One. This is the ERP of SAP for small businesses. The most common deployment is on-premise but now it can also be installed in the cloud.
- Oracle. Oracle also commercializes several ERP solutions:
- Workday. Natively cloud application. It started as an HCM system and it has evolved to become an ERP.
- Sage. The ERP that Sage is commercializing now are:
- Infor. They are specially good in retail, distribution and manufacturing.
- Microsoft. Microsoft also commercializes Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, that combines ERP and CRM solutions. Deployment can be on cloud or on-premise. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is the next generation of application for Microsoft Dynamics Nav (Navision).
There are other ERP solutions in the market but not as popular as the previous ones. Some other ERP are Syspro, Epicor, Acumatica, IQMS, Deltek, Plex, …
Before finishing this post, I would like to mention that this post was only about their competitors in the ERP market. SAP not only commercializes ERP solutions, they have other extra products that complement the core ERP. For those other business lines they have other competitors. In this link, you can find for example the competitors of SAP in the CRM market.